African Chicken Stew Recipe
This wholesome african chicken stew recipe goes equally well with couscous or rice. The combination of herbs, chick peas and
vegetables compliment the chicken very well.
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20 min
No. of servings: 4
- 500g (1 pound) skinless, boneless chicken breasts or chicken thigh fillets cut into bite-size chunks.
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium sized carrots peeled and diced
- 4 baby marrows sliced
- 1 green pepper cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes skinned and chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1 tin (400g or 14 ounces) chick-peas drained
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley or ½ teaspoon dried
- 12 black pepper corns
- ½ teaspoon cayene pepper (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
Fresh parsley leaves roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a good sized saucepan and gently fry the onions until they are transparent.
- Add the chicken and fry until it is coloured all over.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the chick-peas to the pan, season with salt and pepper.
- Turn down the heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the chick-peas and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the fresh parsley.
Return to Simple Chicken Recipes from African Chicken Stew Recipe
Return to Chicken Stew Recipes
Return To Chicken Recipes Central Home