Roast Chicken Recipe with Lemon Butter
This roast chicken recipe with lemon butter and the resultant crispy golden skin is simply irresistible.
Here some of the lemon butter is inserted under the skin of the chicken, keeping the flesh moist and succulent.
The rest of the lemon butter is spread over the skin making it crispy and golden.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking time: 2 - 2½ hours
Preheat oven to: 160°C (325°F, Gas Mark 3)
No. of servings: 4
- 1 whole chicken weighing 1.5-2kg (3½-4½ pounds)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 60g (2 ounces) butter
- salt and freshly ground pepper (preferably white pepper)
- some cooking oil to oil the grid
- Cream the butter and lemon rind together in a food processor.
- Gradually add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use your fingers to gently loosen the skin of the chicken, starting at the neck end.
- Loosen the skin all the way to the tail and also at the top of the drum sticks.
- Spread 2⁄3 of the lemon butter mixture under the skin.
- Smooth it down with your hands to make sure that the butter mixture is evenly spread.
- Truss the chicken (optional).
- Rub the outside of the chicken with the rest of the lemon butter mixture.
- Oil a roasting rack that fits into a roasting tin.
- Place the chicken breast side down on the oiled rack over the roasting tin.
- Roast in the pre-heated oven until done.
- Once done, carefully turn the chicken over.
- Sprinkle with the remaining lemon juice and baste with the pan juices.
- Let the roast chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Return to Roast Chciekn Recipes from Roast Chicken Recipe with Lemon Butter
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home