Chicken and Pasta Recipe with Broccoli and Pesto Sauce
This chicken and pasta recipe is one of my favourites and it is healthy too! It is a simple chicken recipe but very tasty. Of course a bought pesto sauce will save you a bit of time, but pesto sauce is so easy to make and tastes just so much better.
Many years ago my husband and I made our first attempt at home-made pesto sauce. The recipe here is our recipe as it has evolved over the years.
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
No. of Servings 4 - 6
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 onion chopped
- 300g (10 onces) broccoli, washed and broken into florets.
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh time or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 500g (1 pound) whole wheat pasta like penne
- Cooking the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Follow the recipe below and make the pesto.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onions until soft.
- Add the chicken and fry until just done.
- Add the broccoli, cover and turn down the heat. Let it steam for about 5 minutes until the broccoli is cooked but still crisp.
- Add the, rosemary time and lemon juice. Stir and heat through.
- Season to taste.
- Combine pasta, chicken and broccoli and pesto and serve.
Pesto Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3-4 fresh sorrel leaves or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¾ to 1 cup olive oil
- 2-4 tablespoons pine nuts or cashew nuts
- 30g - 60g (1 - 2 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Puree all the ingredients in a food processor. Do not over process.
- The sauce should be thin enough to run off a spoon, if not, thin it down with more oil.
Return to Simple Chicken Recipes for Chicken and Pasta Recipe with Broccoli and Pesto Sauce
Return To Chicken Recipes Central Home