Chicken Casserole Recipe with Mushrooms and Barley
This is a simple chicken casserole recipe, but is still a healthy meal-in-one dish. The mushrooms and butter combine beautifully to add a touch of richness to the dish.
Preparation Time: 25 min
Cooking time: 1 hour
Pre-heat oven to : 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5)
No. of servings: 4
- 8 chicken pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 30g (1 ounce) butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley roughly chopped
- Heat half of the oil and half of the butter in the casserole and gently brown the chicken.
- Remove the chicken and reserve.
- Add the onion and gently fry until softened.
- Add the rest of the butter and oil and the mushrooms.
- Stir-fry the mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Stir in the barley, add the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper
- Cover tightly and bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the peas.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Check that the barley and chicken are tender. Adjust the seasoning, sprinkle with
the parsley and serve.
Return to Casserole Recipes from Chicken Casserole Recipe with Mushrooms and Barley
Return To Chicken Recipes Central Home