Chicken Soup Recipe with Chickpeas and Spices
This colourful, warm and spicy chicken soup recipe is excellent served with naan bread.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
No. of Servings: 4-6
- 500g (1 pound) skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g (14 onces) can chopped tomatoes
- 400g (14 onces) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) chicken stock
- 2 sticks celery finely chopped
- 1 large carrot coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼teaspoon ground tumeric
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
sour cream, sprigs of fresh coriander
Return to Chicken Soup Recipes
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan, add the onions and fry gently until soft.
- Add the garlic and fry gently for about 1 minute.
- Add the spices (except the fresh coriander) and continue to fry gently stirring continuously until the spices release their aroma.
- Add the chicken and fry until just done.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, celery, carrot and chickpeas. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and season.
- Serve with a dollop of cream in each bowl and garnish with a sprig of coriander.
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home