Chicken Stew Recipe with Root Vegetables and Red Wine
This is hearty chicken stew recipe, richly flavoured with red wine and packed with root vegetables.
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking time: 1 hour
No. of servings: 4 - 6
- 6 - 8 chicken pieces
- 2 medium onions or shallots peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 parsnips peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 bulb celeriac peeled and cubed (put in a bowl of water with lemon juice added to prevent them discolouring)
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed, halved lengthways and thickly sliced
- ½ cup red wine
- 350ml (12 fluid ounces) chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 - 4 tablespoons flour
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dust the chicken with the flour. Heat 1½ tablespoons of the oil in a heavy based saucepan.
Gently fry the chicken in batches.
- Remove the last of chicken from the pan, add the onion (or shallots) and some more oil if needed, and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, carrots, parsnips and celeriac to the pan. Add the wine and stir. Increase the heat and cook until
the wine has almost evaporated.
- Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and bouquet garni.
- Return the chicken to the pan along with any juices.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add the leeks and the parsley and season to taste. Simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the bouquet garni, adjust the seasoning and serve.
Return to Stew Recipes from Chicken Stew Recipe with Root Vegetables and Red Wine
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home