Chicken Stew Recipe with Spring Vegetables
This chicken stew recipe relies on fresh vegetables and fresh garden herbs for its delectable flavour and texture.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 - 1½ hours
No. of servings: 6
- 1,5 - 2 kg (3 - 4 pounds) chicken portions
- 4 rashers streaky bacon trimmed
- 1 bunch spring onions cleaned and chopped in chunks
- 5 medium sized carrots, peeled and quartered
- 100g (3 ounces) cauliflower florets
- 2 sticks celery cleaned and roughly chopped
- 5 baby marrows cleaned and sliced
- ½ cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 200g (7 ounces) button mushrooms cleaned
- 40g (1½ ounces) butter
- 100ml (3½ fluid ounces) dry white wine
- about 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped origanum
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoon fresh chopped marjoram
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lightly brown the bacon in a large saucepan.
- Remove the bacon and reserve.
- Add the butter to the saucepan and brown the chicken pieces.
- Add the herbs and some seasoning.
- Pour over the wine and enough water to cover.
- Cover and cook the chicken over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook until the vegetables are done but still firm.
- Transfer the chicken to a heated serving platter and arrange the vegetables around it.
- Reduce the pan juices by half over high heat to create a well flavoured stock.
- Pour this over the chicken and vegetables, adjust the seasoning and serve.
Return To Stew Recipes from Chicken Stew Recipe with Spring Vegetables
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home