Ground Chicken Recipe - Meatballs or Frikadelle
In our house this ground chicken recipe is known as chicken frikadelle. In Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands and
here is South Africa a “frikadel” is a meatball. Ground chicken tends to be dry and goes rubbery very easily,
but combination of oat flakes and sour cream in this simple chicken recipe, seems to prevent that.
My kids love these so much I always have to double the recipe.
You can either use pre-ground chicken (chicken mince) in this recipe or mince the chicken yourself. Serve with some steamed
baby potatoes and a simple vegetable.
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking time: 20 min
No. of servings: 4
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 500g) cubed or
500g (1 pound) ground chicken (chicken mince)
- 1 small onion chopped, if you are mincing the chicken yourself, or grated if you are using ground chicken
- 2⁄3 cup instant oat flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- ½ fresh chopped marjoram or ¼ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- juice of one lemon
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
A few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- If mincing the chicken yourself, put the chicken, onions, oats, lemon rind, herbs and seasoning in a food processor and pulse until combined and the chicken is roughly minced, or
if using chicken mince, combine above ingredients by stirring together.
- Wet your hands and shape the chicken mixture into 2 dozen balls.
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy based sauce pan and working in batches, gently fry the meatballs on both sides.
- Remove the last batch of meatballs from the pan. Stir in the wine, stock and lemon juice and bring to the boil.
- Add the meatballs, adjust the seasoning and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the sour cream and gently stir and turn the meatballs ensuring that they are covered with the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary and serve.
Return to Simple Chicken Recipes from Ground Chicken Recipe Meatballs