Hot and Sour Chicken Soup Recipe
Looking for something different? This Chinese hot and sour chicken soup recipe can either be made with ordinary
chicken stock or turn it into real soul food by using this Homemade Chinese Chicken Stock Recipe for the stock.
Preparation Time: 25 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
No. of Servings 4-6
- 100g (3 onces) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips.
- 100g (3 onces) tofu cubed.
- 1 egg beaten.
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) Homemade Chinese chicken stock
Chicken stock of your choice plus the following:
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger.
- 3 spring onions chopped.
- 2 fresh giant black mushrooms, cut into strips.
- 80 ml (3 fl oz) tinned bamboo shoots, drained and cut into thin strips.
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry.
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce.
- salt and white pepper.
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional).
- 1 tablespoon cornflour.
- 3 tablespoons water.
1 spring onion finely chopped and a few drops of sesame seed oil.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a deep saucepan.
- Add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, the optional stock ingredients(ginger and spring onions) and chilli.
Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken, reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes longer until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the sherry, vinegar, soya sauce and tofu.
- Mix the cornflour to a paste with the water and add it to the soup.
- Let the soup come back to the boil stirring constantly until it thickens slightly.
- Slowly stir in the beaten egg.
- Season the soup with salt and a generous amount of white pepper.
- Garnish with the spring onion and few drops of sesame seed oil and serve.
Return to Chicken Soup Recipes from Hot and Sour Chicken Soup Recipe
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home