Pot-Roast Chicken Recipe with 40 Cloves of Garlic
This is a pot-roast chicken recipe for garlic lovers. The chicken itself cooks beautifully and has a very mild flavour, but the the ideas is to serve the copious amount of garlic with croutes (toast made from a French baguette).
Squeeze the soft flesh from the roasted garlic and spread it on the croutes. It is absolutely yummy, but do
beware it is a very effective people repellent!
You need a casserole, with a tight fitting lid, large enough to hold the whole chicken. It is also easier if the casserole can be used on the hob and
in the oven.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking time: 1¾ hours
No. of servings: 4-6
Preheat the oven to 190°C (375° F, Gas mark 5)
- 1 large roasting chicken weighing 1.5 - 2kg (3½ to 4 pounds)
- 40 garlic cloves (about 2 big heads)
- 1 large bouquet garni
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- toasted croutes
- Season the chicken inside and out with the salt and pepper.
- Put the bouquet garni in the body cavity.
- Truss the chicken (optional).
- Heat the oil in the casserole and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Remove the chicken.
- Place the garlic cloves in the bottom of the casserole.
- Set the chicken on top of the garlic cloves.
- Cover with the lid.
- Mix the flour to a paste with a little water and seal the lid with the paste.
- Bake in the oven for 1¾ hours without opening the oven.
- Serve straight from the casserole.
Original Recipe from Jeni Wright's “Creative Chicken”
Return to Roast Chicken Recipes from Pot-Roast Chicken Recipe with 40 Cloves of Garlic
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home