Traditional Pot-Roast Chicken Recipe
This pot-roast chicken recipe is well worth the effort required. Quite the opposite of our fast
paced way of life, the time and care that goes into preparing chicken in this way, comes through in the wonderful taste
produced in the end.
Serve this pot-roast chicken some steamed rice and mixed salad for a real traditional family dinner.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking time: 2 hours
No. of servings: 6
- 1 large whole chicken 1.5-2kg (3½-4 pounds)
- 2 small onions peeled
- 2 cups boiling water
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1-2 teaspoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup sweet wine, port or brown sherry
- 2 cloves
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- a bit of corn flour to thicken the gravy
- Lightly rub the inside of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Insert the 2 cloves in the cavity.
- Truss the chicken (optional).
- Mix some salt and pepper with the flour and rub the chicken all over with the mixture.
- Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan that is large enough to hold the whole chicken.
- Flavour the oil and butter mixture by browning the whole onions in it.
- Remove the onions and reserve.
- Place the chicken in the pot and brown it on all sides.
- Turn the chicken breast side up and add ¼ of the boiling water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Turn the bird to cook each side in the same way, adding more water as needed.
- Finally turn it breast side down and brown it in the gravy.
- Test the chicken with a skewer and make sure that the juices are running clear.
- Add the wine, turn up the heat and baste the chicken with the gravy.
- Chop the onions finely.
- Remove the chicken from the saucepan and keep warm.
- Add the onions and chicken stock to the saucepan.
- Simmer covered for a few minutes, stir to deglaze the saucepan.
- If need be, thicken the gravy with a bit of corn flour mixed to a paste with a small amount of water.
- Server the chicken with the gravy in a separate heated gravy boat.
Return to Roast Chicken Recipes from Traditional Pot-Roast Chicken Recipe
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home