Jerk Roast Chicken Recipe
This Roast Chicken Recipe captures the most famous taste from Jamaica.
The chicken is marinated with the jerk paste allowing the hot and spicy flavours of the chillies and peppercorns, together with the mellow flavours
of the allspice and cinnamon to permeate the flesh.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Marinating Time: minimum 2 hours but preferably overnight
Cooking time: 1 -1¼hours
No. of servings: 4
Preheat Oven to 220°C (425°F, Gas Mark 7)
- 1 whole chicken 1.5 - 2 kg (3½ - 4 pounds)
- 1 small onion skinned and kept whole
- 3 whole cloves
Jerk Paste Ingredients
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 teaspoons whole black pepper crushed
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Stud the small whole onion with the cloves and insert it into the body cavity of the chicken.
- Put the jerk paste ingredients in a food processor and work to a paste.
- Slash the skin and flesh of the chicken.
- Spread the jerk paste all over the chicken and work it into the cuts.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator.
- Pre-heat the oven and oil a rack that fits over a roasting tin.
- Place the chicken, breast side up on the oiled rack over a roasting tin.
- Roast in the pre-heated oven until done.
- The chicken can be served hot or cold.
Return to Roast Chicken Recipes from Roast Chicken Recipe - Jerk Chicken
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home