Spatchcock Chicken Recipe with Herb Butter
This spatchcock chicken recipe ensures that you have a succulent and moist roast chicken done to
Since the chicken is spatchcocked or butterflied it does not take as long to roast.
The herb butter is inserted under the skin of the chicken allowing the flavours to permeate the whole roast.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking time: 45 min
No. of servings: 4
Pre-heat oven to: 220 °C (425 °F, Gas Mark 7 )
- 1 whole chicken 1.5 - 2 kg (3 - 4 pounds)
- 125g (4 ounces) butter
- 2 fat cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tablespoon chopped chives
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
To make the herb butter:
- Cream the butter in a food processor.
- Beat in the brandy and crushed garlic
- Add the herbs and process until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
To spatchcock the chicken:
- Turn the chicken breast side down.
- Using poultry scissors, cut the chicken open from the bottom of the body cavity to
the neck by cutting next to the back bone.
- Remove the back bone by cutting alongside it on the other side.
- Turn the chicken over and press down on it with the palm of your hand to flatten it.
- If you want to chicken to keep its shape use two long metal skewer.
Insert each one diagonally from breast to opposite thigh so that the skewers cross over in the middle of the chicken.
To assemble recipe:
- Gently loosen the skin of the chicken around the breast, drumsticks and thighs.
- Insert the herb butter under the loosened skin. Use your fingers on top of the skin to gently spread it.
- Place the chicken on an oiled rack over a roasting tin.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and roast for about 45 minutes.
Return to Roast Chicken Recipes from Spatchcock Chicken Recipe with Herb Butter
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home