Spatchcock Chicken Recipe with Orange and Sweet Potato
This spatchcock chicken recipe combines interesting flavours to create a unique
As is the case with open roast chicken recipes, the chicken ends up crisp, brown and tender.
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking time: 1 - 1½ hours
Pre-heat Oven to 200°C (400°F, Gas Mark 6)
No. of servings: 4
- 1 whole chicken 1 - 1.5kg (2 - 3 pounds)
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 green apples peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 stick of celery thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- a pinch of ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ ground allspice
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
To spatchcock the chicken:
- Turn the chicken breast side down.
- Using poultry scissors, cut the chicken open from the bottom of the body cavity to
the neck by cutting next to the back bone.
- Remove the back bone by cutting alongside it on the other side.
- Turn the chicken over and press down on it with the palm of your hand to flatten it.
- If you want to chicken to keep its shape use two long metal skewer.
Insert each one diagonally from breast to opposite thigh so that the skewers cross over in the middle of the chicken.
To assemble recipe:
- Use some of the olive oil to oil a large roasting dish.
- Arrange the sweet potato, apples and onion in layers in the roasting dish.
- Add the bay leaf, parsley, celery and orange rind.
- Sprinkle with the cloves, cinnamon and allspice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Rub the chicken with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken skin side up on top of the other ingredients in the dish.
- Add the orange juice.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 1 to 1½ hours.
Return to Roast Chicken Recipes from Spatchcock Chicken Recipe with Orange and Sweet Potato
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home