Basic Chicken Stock
This basic chicken stock yields a smaller quantity of stock and can be used for white sauces or soups.
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking time: 3-4 hours
Yields 1 - 1.25 litres (about 2 pints)
- 500g (½ pound) chicken bones (carcasses, backs, necks, feet or wings)
- 1 medium sized onion peeled and left whole
- 1 carrot halved
- 1 stick celery cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) chunks
- about 1.5 litres (3 pints) cold water (enough just to cover the bones)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 parsley stems
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Place all the ingredients in a heavy based saucepan or stock pot and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Skim off any scum that forms on the surface.
- Cover saucepan and simmer very gently for 3 - 4 hours.
- Strain through a fine sieve.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours and remove any fat that settles on the surface.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
See more Basic Chicken Stock Recipes here
Return to Chicken Recipes Central Home